Christmas is just around the corner, but not all of us get a long holiday! Many of us are still working throughout this time, but luckily there are the four statutory holidays we do get to relax on!
So how can you still get into the Christmas spirit while in the office? Check out this top ten list.
1. Get a Christmas office tree! Doesn’t have to be a real one, our office has a plastic one someone had spare at home, and get everyone to bring in a few ornaments from home to decorate. You don’t have to stick to traditional trees either, what about one made of books or paper? The possibilities are endless.
2. Decorate your desk. Why not try a little decorating around your own desk? Hang some tinsel, artfully place a few baubles around… It doesn’t take much for you to see these and be reminded that the holidays are right around the corner.
3. Christmas cookies! Today the Cookie Time cookie bucket sales person stopped by our office to see if we wanted to purchase any buckets of their mini cookies for charity (we did). A delicious way to help others.
4. Christmas music. While it may drive you batty if you have it going 24/7, it is fun for a little while. Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra sing great classics, or you can try something a little more modern like Mariah Carey’s “All I Want For Christmas”, or the Love, Actually soundtrack.
5. Dress seasonally. They don’t call it the silly season for nothing, and if there is a time to get away with wearing reindeer antlers or a Santa hat to the office, it’s now. You could also wear a Christmas tie or Christmas jewellery. Anything red or green is also ‘in season’.
6. Food. I don’t know about your office, but mine has a major sweet tooth! Everyone is sure to love it if you bring in some Christmas goodies. Ginger snaps, sugar cookies, Christmas cake.. Yum. You can impress everyone with your cooking skills at the same time!
7. Secret Santa. Our office does this every year. Pile the names into a hat, everyone draws one out and buys a gift (usually silly) for under $10. You never know what you’re going to get and it’s bound to get everyone laughing at the reactions of the receivers!
8. Cookie exchange. Originally an American tradition, it could be fun to do here! Every bakes a dozen cookies, brings them on a plate, and then refills their own plate with a selection of other delicious cookies.
9. Volunteer. Corral the office and go out and help somebody! ‘Tis the season of giving, and there are plenty of people who could use a hand. It could be at your local SPCA, planting some trees in the park or helping out the kids at your kindy. Whatever you do, it will be appreciated.
10. Office Christmas party. This is a great way for everyone to get to know each other without the stress of work on their shoulders. Christmas can often mean an extra-busy workload as well, so it’s a great way to unwind. Just be careful to not become that person in the office everyone talks about afterward due to too much